Sample Award Program Activities
The award programs differ in the following way: The Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility Community Service Award recognizes credit unions for external activities within the community; the Louise Herring Philosophy-in-Action Member Service Award honors credit unions for exemplary internal programs and services.
The following examples help clarify activities appropriate to each award category.
Sample Dora Maxwell Award activities include, but are not limited to:
- Helping solve core community problems, such as housing, transportation, hunger, or literacy.
- Food, clothing, or school supply drives for the needy.
- Raising money on behalf of charitable organizations, such as the United Way or Credit Unions for Kids®.
- Helping an organization or agency with events or projects, such as coaching a Special Olympics team.
- Tutoring or reading to students at a local school.
- Sponsoring a community volunteer of the year award.
Sample Louise Herring Award activities include, but are not limited to:
- Services for members with unique financial needs, such as savings clubs for children or discounts for senior citizens, or other extraordinary efforts to serve the membership.
- Counseling for members facing financial difficulties.
- Student-run, in-school or campus branch.
- Efforts to educate members on the credit union difference.
- Wealth-building or debt reduction incentive programs.